Sunday, October 25, 2009

Eric Carle Lesson


So Far this was one of my favorite projects. You can definately tell that the kids would like this assignment. Not just because its full of color, but they also have many choices to make from what colors to use all the way to which animal they would like to make. I would start by reading the "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" with the kids. I would then ask the students to write a small paragraph or two of what they thought Eric Carle was trying to say in his book. I would also ask them to explain their favorite part of the book along with their favorite picture. After they were done with their discriptions I would ask the students to draw two things, a caterpillar and a butterfly. I would encorporate this into a physical science lesson as well as a language arts lesson. I would have the students show the stages of a butterfly by explaining the different stages of development in becoming a butterfly. This project would be done in upper elementary 4-6th grades, but can be done with just more than a physical science and language arts project. You could use it in your math classes by adding or subtracting the features on the butterfly or caterpillar.


1 comment:

  1. Nice job on ways you would present this lesson to your class. I think the students would love to try some of the things you are describing.

    ReplyDelete